A Unique Opportunity – improve your free-diving and spearfishing skills, meet other spearos and enjoy delicious chef prepared meals with our daily catch!
Kevin, along with Channel Islands Expeditions crew members will share their knowledge of free-diving and hunting techniques.
Beginners are welcome, however we require that you have some experience free-diving. You should know how to use your fins, weight belt, equalize your ears etc. If you are looking to improve your skills and have a great time we welcome you! We also welcome experienced hunters that want to share their catch, enthusiasm and knowledge with others!
We will also have opportunities for rod and reel fishing during the trip!
Interested in learning more? Check out this video from Taku of Outdoor Chef Life of a similar trip we did last year!
- Visit the Northern Channel Islands on a catch and cook adventure aboard the 85 ft M/V Vision!
- Learn how to sustainably harvest the various species that inhabit California’s kelp forests and rocky reefs
- Free dive for scallops, sea urchin, turbin snails and more
- Opportunities for rod and reel fishing as well!
- Lobster Season – try your hand at diving for California Spiny Lobster!
- Ocean wilderness experience, you’ll be in a remote area with the experts.
- Healthy and delicious food served everyday.
- 5 star galley services w/ beverage bar
- Check In, Boarding Buffet and Orientation: 6:30-8:30pm
- Boarding Gates Close: 9:00 PM
- Duration: 4 day and 4 nights
- Return to Santa Barbara: by 5:00 PM on the 4th day
Your Expedition Vessel – VISION
- Overnight Capacity – 30 people in 16 oversized and 8 personal bunks.
- Bunks are dressed with pillows, blankets, and privacy curtains.
- San Miguel Island
- Santa Rosa Island
- Santa Cruz Island
- Santa Barbara Island
- Anacapa Island
Trip Specific Information
- Minimum Age: 16 years old
- Maximum Number of Guests: 24
Santa Barbara Landing – Santa Barbara Harbor
301 West Cabrillo Blvd
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Healthy and Delicious Food Served Fresh from our Galley
We source most of our produce from the local farmers’ markets in order to serve a seasonal, sustainable, and healthy menu.
We can accommodate the following diets and ALL severe food allergies:
- Gluten Free (we do not provide gluten free bread)
Frequently Asked Questions
Each person is assigned a bunk, you may reserve an oversized bunk for $100 additional. Each bunk has a privacy curtain. Our nightwatch crew is there for the safety of passengers and the vessel.
This trip is open to all levels of experience, however we highly recommend some experience free diving and spearfishing before coming out on this trip. If you are new to the sport and looking to improve your skills this will be a great trip for you! Experienced fishermen and women welcome as well!
This trip takes place during California Spiny Lobster season, we will have opportunities to dive for lobster each day! However, free-diving for lobster can be difficult especially if you haven’t done it before! We hope everyone will get at least one lobster, however we can’t promise that you will hit your limit.
The minimum age for this trip is 16 years old.
YES! There is no way around this. You cannot spearfish without knowing how to swim!